Hello everyone, I am Veronica Kloiber and I am running for council of the newly minted Town of Diamond Valley. I have been on Black Diamond Council since 2017 and told myself and voters I would run for two terms. The amalgamation changed things a bit, so now I get to participate in three elections, not just two.
My husband and I have called Black Diamond home since 2009. We moved here to be closer to extended family and raise our son in a small town. Our boy is now a teenager and we look back fondly on the fantastic childhood memories that were made possible by living in this beautiful place.
When I was first elected in 2017, my goals were to improve communication, transparency and infrastructure (specifically water and sewer). There is still much work to be done on those points. I voted in favour of amalgamation. I see the benefits outweighing the short-term challenges of merging two towns and look forward to doing away with the duplication of work.
I am a strong supporter of business retention and economic development. Prior to my time on council, I was a volunteer member on Black Diamond’s Economic Development Committee. As a councillor I sit on the Intermunicipal Economic Development Committee, a partnership with the Town of Turner Valley. I am the chairperson of the Community Futures Highwood board, a not-for-profit organization dedicated to economic growth and business development.
Since June of 2020, I have had the good fortune to work with the Foothills Tourism Association in promoting this region. Not only have I had the opportunity to meet Black Diamond business owners but business owners throughout the Foothills. I see the tourism industry as a valuable asset to our town and our region and I will continue to promote a visitor economy and regenerative tourism.
Being a member of a municipal council means sharing the work and the successes. I cannot say I’ve accomplished anything on my own, but some things I’ve had a hand in are as follows:
- Increasing youth participation by volunteering with the students of Oilfields High School through their work on sustainability projects
- Supporting existing and new businesses through Community Futures Highwood
- Bolstering tourism and economic development through the Foothills Tourism Association by bringing visitors to the region
- Opposing mining exploration and mining development on our Eastern Slopes
- Worked to ensure fairness from municipal government through utility rates and billing
- Pushed for more expedient infrastructure improvements
- Fought to ensure responsible development and secure future availability of water
- Spent time looking at the Land Use Bylaw to ensure a fair and equitable development approval process
- Encouraged new faces on council in the 2021 election
This region is and has been a wonderful place for me and my family to call home. It has given us an affordable house, friendly neighbours, community spirit, and free time for me to get out on horseback and explore the nearby trails. I hope you will allow me the opportunity to be your voice on the new Diamond Valley Council.
You can reach me at email@example.com or by phone/text at 403-921-2811.